Matching Makeup Products: Eyeshadow Palettes

Andrea Matillano Youtube
Everyone in the makeup community knows one universal fact: there's a crapton of makeup products out there. Today, there's rarely any product that isn't partially (or even intentionally) reminiscent of something from another brand. Whether we're talking about cheaper brands duping something from an expensive brand (looking at you Makeup Revolution) or products with similar claims/color palettes, there's definitely overlap in what makeup brands produce.

Let me be super clear with you guys: I'm not saying that's a bad thing. In fact, I enjoy it! Brands can take the same color story and interpret it in totally different ways. This means more options for makeup junkies like myself, hooray! That's why I'm making a series called:
For these posts, we'll be comparing two products that are incredibly similar (or even dupes) of each other. We're going to kick this series off with one of my favorite makeup products: eyeshadow palettes!

Andrea Matillano Youtube
Andrea Matillano Youtube

Here's how I plan to compare products:

First, I've rearranged the palettes in similar layouts to see the true color stories of both. Second, I've highlighted the similar shades between palettes. Third, I included real swatches (not ones from websites) to see how the colors compare in real life.

First for the sake of fairness, I removed palette backgrounds for shade comparisons. Sometimes the packaging can interfere with the true shadow colors, so this just makes it easier to spot similar shades.

Let's get into it! Here are three sets of similar eyeshadow palettes.


Jaclyn Hill Palette Vol. 2 vs Colourpop It's All Good




These two palettes initially sparked the idea for this post and series. Both of them are so similar in terms of color stories. Granted, they're not identical, but they're pretty damn close. Both consist of warm shades that complement the nudes in each palette. The Jaclyn one has more orange/pink/purple accent shades, while the Colourpop one has mainly pink accent shades.


Here's how the Colourpop palette would look if it were rearranged to evoke the same feel as the Jaclyn palette:



And here are the similar shades between palettes (Colourpop compared to Jaclyn):




Similar Shades: 22 of 35 (some Colourpop shades in there twice)



My pick: I'd pick the Jaclyn Hill Vol. 2 Palette. It just seems like you get much more color variety. You can have tons of fun with those oranges, pinks, and purples! Doesn't feel like the Colourpop one is as exciting in comparison.





Becca Pearl Glow Palette vs Viseart Paris Edit




This was another palette duo that immediately caught my eye: the Becca Pearl Glow Palette and the Viseart Paris Edit Palette. Of the three duos listed here, I feel these two are the closest match. Both primarily have nude shades with purple accents and hints of pink/grey. Here's how the shades compare side by side.


Here's how the Becca palette would look if were rearranged to evoke the same feel as the Viseart palette:



And here are the similar shades between palettes (Becca compared to Viseart):




Similar Shades: 8 of 12



My pick: Definitely the Viseart Paris Edit Palette. The color selection just seems more vibrant and well-rounded than what you get in the Becca palette. Mauves and purples are more my thing, so I'm not surprised my eyes go right to that palette. 





Melt Cosmetics 27 Palette vs Huda Beauty Topaz Obsessions



This comparison really snuck up on me. Initially, I was looking for dupes for these palettes individually, but it turns out that the Melt Cosmetics 27 and the Huda Beauty Topaz Obsessions palettes are incredibly similar. Both have warm red/brown/orange color stories that are very on-trend right now.


Here's how the Huda palette would look if were rearranged to evoke the same feel as the Melt Cosmetics palette:



And here are the similar shades between palettes (Huda compared to Melt):

Similar Shades: 6 of 10 (some Huda shades in there twice)



My pick: This one is hard. For these shades, my eyes are drawn more to the Melt Cosmetics 27 Palette. Those neutral/cool-toned reds and browns appeal to me more than the oranges and yellows of the Huda Topaz Palette. But if you enjoy warmer tones, the Huda one could be better for you. Just depends!




What are your thoughts?

Let me know if you enjoy these posts!  Maybe I'll continue doing more eyeshadow palette comparisons or expand into other products.







Post a Comment

The Stylish Scientist © . Theme by STS.