Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick Review



Hourglass is probably one of the most expensive makeup brands out there. Granted, they make some stunning products, but their prices make it seem extremely daunting to even try anything. It's like the high price tag elevates these products to an ethereal makeup plane, where us mere mortals are afraid to even look upon it wrong, lest it shatter before our eyes and we cause some horrible offense to the makeup gods. (Jesus, where did that prose come from? I've been watching too much Will on TNT.) 

Anyway, these situations are where my bad spending habits come in handy, because I take the financial risk to hopefully give you guys some better insight into these expensive products and most importantly, to let you know if they're worth the money.




Before I start this review, I feel it's necessary to explain how I conduct my reviews to give you guys some insight into how they work on my blog (largely because I don't think I've done that before). Here's my thoughts on Hourglass as a brand, as well as my little blurb on product reviews:

Personally, my opinion on Hourglass is this: they're a brand with exceptional quality in their products, but I find their products are either very good hits or very bad misses. Most of their hits are also products that I don't think perform that great for their price. Take their popular powders for example. The Ambient Lighting powders feel incredible, but they do practically nothing for my face. They don't give this magical glow to my skin that everyone else claims to get when they use these powders. 
Regardless, my personal opinion doesn't factor into my review of a product. If the product is good, then it's good. Past products and experiences (unless they're exceptionally awful experiences, like bullying, scamming, etc.) don't shape my review of a product. Those things stay out so the review can be as informative and unbiased as possible.

With that long tirade out of the way, let's get into what you've been waiting for: the review!

Foundation Facts: 





The Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick costs $46 and contains 0.25 oz of product. The shade range contains 26 shades. (Typical foundations contains 1 fl oz or 30 ml of product.)

Texture:

First off, let me say that this texture is indeed as creamy and smooth as everyone says. This really impressed me, because the past stick foundations I've tested had an extremely dry texture. Hourglass' foundation reminds me of a cream foundation in its spreadability, so this gets two thumbs up right there.



Shade Match:

Next, the shade match. Finding my foundation shade is hard. I'm extremely pale, but I have a yellow undertone to my skin. Most brands don't stock that kind of color. That difficulty was especially true for this foundation. My closest foundation shade matched me best when I was paler, but the undertone is definitely off. This being said, I did match myself, and in that case, incorrect matching is 100% my fault. That's not Hourglass' fault. The shade match didn't impact the wearability of the foundation or any other important aspects of the product, so I was able to use it for testing without any problems.


Comparison Swatches L to R: Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick in Blanc, Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in 51, Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in 51, Estée Lauder Doublewear Foundation in 1N1, It Cosmetics CC Cream in Fair, Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Foundation in Fair Sand, Shiseido Synchro Skin Foundation in Neutral 1

Coverage: 

Coverage-wise, I'm a bit torn. The coverage was decent, but it felt like the creaminess of the foundation made the coverage wear off quicker than with other drier foundations. When you use a foundation that costs $46, that shouldn't be an issue. I'd say initial coverage was about medium-full, and it reduced to light after around 5 hours. When it was wearing off, the pigment clustered into the finer lines of my face, making for a not-so-nice finish on the skin.

Final Thoughts:

Is this foundation is worth the money? My short answer is no. There are better foundations out there that don't cost $46 for only 0.25 oz of product.

My long answer is this: other beauty bloggers and YouTubers have had much different (a.k.a. better) experiences with this foundation than myself, where they claim it gives them the most flawless finish, it's the best foundation, et. cetera. Visit your local Sephora or Hourglass counter and have them apply it so you can test it for a day. That's the best and most foolproof way to know if the foundation works for your skin and if they carry a shade that suits you.

Additional Helpful Reviews

Here are some extra videos discussing this foundation so you can gather more information for your personal opinion on the product. 








What are your thoughts? Love to hear what you think about this product and about foundation reviews on the blog in general. Let me know below!

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

Post a Comment

The Stylish Scientist © . Theme by STS.