Makeup Favorites of 2016






 * * Happy New Year! Happy 2017! * * 


Hope you all had a fantastic (and safe) day ringing in the New Year! My New Year's Eve was spent with two good friends of mine and consisted of making oreo balls, watching a ton of Netflix, and drinking wine.

Anyway, I wanted to write a post listing my makeup and beauty favorites of 2016! This post only covers makeup items, but don't worry! I'm going to write a post all about my beauty and skincare favorites during the week! Without further ado, let's get on to the many makeup favorites of mine this year.




Primer

Laura Mercier Hydrating Primer

This primer worked surprisingly well on my skin. Moisturizing primers typically don't work well with my skin, but this one really hit the mark. The texture reminds me of a typical face moisturizer, but has the added benefit of working as a fantastic base. Definitely going to keep using this well into the new year.


Foundation

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation (51 Light Vanilla)

This is my favorite drugstore foundation ever. Bourjois just kills it when it comes to foundations, and this one stands apart from everything else in my collection, including luxury foundations. This product glides onto the skin like a dream, has the perfect undertone to match my skin, and keeps me from looking shiny throughout the day. Plus, it has a fantastic fruity smell. This is without a doubt, one of my ultimate top foundations throughout the entirety of my exposure to makeup.



Revlon Colorstay Foundation (150 Buff)

Holy grail products like this one really came onto my radar this year. This Revlon foundation is shockingly good. I've been a fan of the Covergirl 3 in 1 foundation, but this one definitely beats it hands down. It's smooth texture, high coverage, and easy blendability made this foundation a big favorite this year. The texture reminded me of the Bourgeois Healthy Mix foundation. This was also one of the few foundations that had the correct shade and undertone to suit my skin. Double thumbs up for you, Revlon!



Shiseido Synchro Skin Foundation (Neutral 1)

Fleur de Force raved about this foundation in a video, so it wasn't long until I tested it as well. This is one of the smoothest, most natural-looking foundations I've ever used. The product is best described as a "velvety liquid." It blends out so effortlessly on the skin. While it can feel slightly oily upon initial application, that feeling does wear off after about five minutes. It's an expensive product, but a fantastic investment. Give this a go if you're searching for a natural base!


Concealer

Kat Von D Lock-it Concealer Creme (L3)

This new concealer release immediately caught my eye. Kat Von D is known to branch into the very fair shades of base makeup, so this was something I had to try. Concealer is the product I really hold to a high standard, and this one is by far the best. The level of coverage is fantastic and makes my skin look natural while still covering up blemishes. My current shade is only the second lightest shade, which is great news if I need a paler shade. Her line even includes a white concealer for mixing purposes. There is seriously nothing major to hate about this product. Seriously check this one out.


Make Up For Ever HD Concealer (Y23)

Before I discovered the Kat Von D concealer, my heart was in love with the MUFE Ultra HD concealer. This is definitely a lighter texture than the Kat Von D concealer, but it leaves the skin looking naturally flawless. The shade works great both on the face and under the eyes. Most people reach for the MUFE HD Foundation, but I'd say reach for this concealer instead. This one is the true gem of the HD range.




Eye Corrector

Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage (SC-2)

Word of warning: this product will not be everyone's favorite. The peachy shade in this duo is a perfect shade for correcting my undereye darkness. The product itself however, is slightly dry and somewhat difficult to blend. That being said, those of you with dry skin will not be fans of this product. It can work perfectly fine if you moisturize well beforehand. This cult product is definitely worth at least a swatch or two in the store. For those of you in search of a more moisturizing corrector, check out the Urban Decay Naked Skin Corrector in Peach or the Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Serum Corrector.


Blush

Becca x Jaclyn Hill Blush in Flowerchild

Flowerchild always caught my eye when I walked past it in Sephora, so I bit the bullet and bought it. 
This was the first product I've ever tried from Becca, and I like it a lot! The texture is silky smooth and the pigment gives me a nice flush of natural color on my cheeks. Most people focus on the highlighters, which are surely not to be outdone, but the blushes are also some amazing cheek products.


Bronzer and Contour

Benefit Hoola

This is an old favorite, but it's truly continued to be a favorite through the past year. This powder has the perfect taupe undertone to really work well as either a contour powder or a bronzer. This one was almost outdone by the Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder in Light, but I feel the Benefit one is a far better value. They look nearly identical on the face. 


Highlighter

Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop

This highlighter was a cult obsession this past year. Everyone and their mother was talking about this specific Becca shade, and I can understand why. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of highlighter, but this works well as a sheer layer on the cheekbones or as a more intense layer for some extra bling. This highlighter looks good everywhere on the face. The variability of this powder is a big reason why it made its way into my makeup favorites for this year. 






Eyebrows

Benefit kaBROW! Brow Creme (01)

The re-branded Benefit brow product were the brow highlight of the year. These pomades have the perfect undertone to keep the brows from looking too warm. There are only six shades in the range, but they work over a variety of hair tones. KaBROW is a similar pomade to the one by Anastasia Beverly Hills, but the Anastasia one is creamier. The Benefit kaBROW! is a drier type of formula that really sticks to the brows for a perfectly polished natural look.


Mascara Primer

Lancome CILS BOOSTER XL Super-Enhancing Mascara Base


This product caught me completely by surprise. Typically, I use the Estee Lauder Lash Primer Plus as a mascara primer, but this one managed to top it within the short span of the year. This formula is tinted white and works wonders as a mascara base. When I use this under mascara, my lashes look far fuller, longer, and bolder. It's a great product to add an extra boost to the lashes. 


Mascara

Smashbox X-Rated Mascara

Mascaras are a hard product for me to really love, but this one from Smashbox stands out. The brush is a fantastic natural-bristle brush that coats my lashes in super dark, glossy mascara. The bristles fan out the lashes for an amped up, but natural lash look, that make my eyes look nice and awake. 







Eyeshadow

Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze

These eyeshadow pots have been a long time favorite of mine. This shade is a beautiful cool-toned bronze shadow that works great on its own or underneath eyeshadows. These are a beloved favorite of many other makeup addicts out there, so I won't bore you by going on and on about these. Without a doubt, this product is a must-have for any makeup collection.


Kiko Water Eyeshadow in 200

Kiko is known for their eyeshadow, so when I saw everyone on the internet raving about these water eyeshadows, I knew I had to give it a try. They're a little more expensive than your typical drugstore single shadow, but they're definitely worth the price. This shade is a light champagne color with light glitter, but the glitter doesn't come off as bold or obnoxious. It works quite well with the shade of the shadow. This is the perfect inner corner highlight color. Another cool quality of this shadow is that it's raised in a 3D wave pattern, which makes for satisfying texture. 


Buxom Eyeshadow in Mink Magnet

This cool-toned taupe from Buxom was a true standout. Normally, I'm not a fan of cool-toned bronze and taupe colors, but this one was magnificent. The quality of these Buxom shadows are amazing. Buxom's create-your-own-palette system gave me to a chance to play with a couple shadows, and I couldn't be happier. Mink Magnet came out on top as the favorite, though some bronze shades came close. There's a wide assortment of Buxom shadows from neutral tones to fun colors, so there's a perfect shade for everyone within the range.




Lipstick

Estee Lauder Hydra Luster Lipstick in 11 Dune Rose

This lipstick from Estee Lauder is the perfect nude shade for me. Unfortunately, it's from a past line, so I'm not entirely sure if it's easy to find. This was purchased from a beauty outlet store, but I've also found links to it on Amazon, which you can check out here. It makes me so mad this isn't available, because I love the formula. My favorite formula is one that really grips onto the lips, and this one does that without feeling heavy or looking dry. The closest texture dupe is the Wet N Wild Megalast Matte Lipsticks. The closest color dupe is the NYX Turnt Up Lipstick in Flutter Kisses.


Lipliner

Kylie Cosmetics Lipliner in Candy K

Everyone on the Earth lost their crap over the Kylie lip kits, and though I wasn't drawn to the liquid lipsticks, the lipliners managed to suck me in. The shade Candy K is a wonderful pink-brown nude that looks great on it's own. This liner glides on super smooth and makes for a perfect base for lipstick on top. This lipliner formula is honestly one of the best I've ever used. 



NOTE: Beauty and skincare favorites to come soon! Check back during the week!

Wow, there were a lot of products to discuss. Hopefully you guys enjoyed, and I hope to see you back here when I post the beauty portion of this favorites post! Here's to more makeup and beauty debauchery in the new year!

Happy 2017!









Post a Comment

The Stylish Scientist © . Theme by STS.