May Birchbox 2016





Hellooooo everyone!

I'm so glad to be back with another Birchbox post for all of you! I love writing mini reviews of products, and writing about my monthly Birchbox lets me do that on a somewhat regular basis.

There's also another thing I wanted to mention quickly before I got into the heart of this post, and it's regarding my photos. I used to take pictures with my regular old iPhone 6 camera, but I recently acquired a new little friend (as an early 21st birthday present) to use for better photography for not just the blog, but also for other events in my life. From this point forward, the photos you see on this blog will all be taken from my brand-new Canon EOS Rebel T6i Digital SLR unless otherwise stated. This is my first real "adult" camera, and while I've only had this baby for a few days I'm already in love and obsessed. Now my photos will still be far from perfect, but I'm super excited to play around with it and tons of awesome pictures with it in the future!

Anyway enough of my intro. Let's get to the good stuff. Keep reading to see photos and my reviews of everything in this month's box!




























Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo | $24.00

Dry shampoos seem to be the hair staple of nearly every beauty and makeup blogger on the planet at the moment, so I'm not surprised another dry shampoo wormed its way into my Birchbox. Surprisingly, I'm okay with getting this product. Amika is a brand I enjoy, and they're well-known for the high quality of their products. I haven't given this a proper try just yet, but I have high hopes that it will work wonderfully on my hair.

Rating: 8 out of 10




Coola Mineral SPF 30 Daydream Makeup Primer | $42.00

Coola is mostly known for selling sunscreens, so I was so intrigued and excited to see that they were branching into makeup. I'm one of those people who doesn't apply sunscreen daily (shame on me), so to have a product work twofold to add protection and keep my makeup in place is a real time-saver. I haven't given this a try on my face yet, but the formula feels similar to the Hourglass primer that everyone loves. It has that same powder-but-not-quite-powder feeling when you spread it out, and it doesn't feel as oily as the Hourglass one can feel sometimes. The main issue I have with this sample, though is the size. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this, but if you hold the bottle up to the light, you can see just how little product there actually is in the tube. While it may equal the amount specified on the package, how is this enough for me to determine if I like it or not? The amount I received will probably last me for only two or three use. Hopefully the product performs well enough to make me less mad about the sample size.

Rating: 7 out of 10



MDSolarSciences Mineral Moisture Defense SPF 50 $39.00

This is yet another sunscreen sample, which doesn't shock me since it's summertime. As I mentioned before, I'm not the best when it comes to applying sunscreen on my face daily, but I'm much better when it comes to applying it to the body. I've never heard of this brand before, so I'm excited to try it out. I'm glad there as way more product in this sample so that I can really figure out if I like the product. The sunscreen is lightweight and absorbs quickly into the skin. The texture is also more gel-like as opposed to liquid. It does make your skin feel a bit oily and slick, but no more than other sunscreens do. It kind of feels like a cross between the Hourglass primer and typical sunscreen residue if that makes sense. I'm excited to see if this protects me better than my normal sunscreen and if it's ultimately worth the price to splurge on a product like this.

Rating: 7 out of 10




Vita Liberata Fabulous Self-Tanning Gradual Lotion | $30.00

Self-tanner is always all the rage once summer comes around. So many people talk about this brand that when it came up as a possible sample choice for me, I picked it right away. I'm super pale, so any color on my skin is a nice change in the warmer months. I've heard great things about Vita Liberata,  so I hope it gives me a noticeable and realistic-looking tan.

Rating: 8 out of 10




ModelCo Lip Laquer (Morocco) | $16.00 for mini trio

As some of you might know, lip gloss isn't really my thing. I just don't enjoy it. It gets too sticky and then my hair gets caught in it, so it's far more trouble than it's worth. While I've enjoyed ModelCo products in the past, I have to say I didn't find this one particularly noteworthy. It's a middle of the road lipgloss, but it didn't do anything overly special that make me think it was worth buying. The pigmentation was decent and could be layered over lipstick to give another dimension to your lip color, but not enough to make a super large difference. This gloss also had a fake strawberry smell to it, which made me like it even less. I'm say to say it, but this product was a total disappointment in the end.

Rating: 4 out of 10



And there you have it, my May Birchbox post! This box was more middle of the road in terms of products I'll use versus ones I won't, but it was a decent box overall. Feel free to share your box below! I'd love to know what products you got this month!




Post a Comment

The Stylish Scientist © . Theme by STS.